si-Cluster Academic Member
The Very Large Scale Integration Design Laboratory of the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department of the University of Patras was founded in 1986 and it has been rapidly expanding ever since. The research areas that are covered by the activities of the lab, include microelectronics, integrated circuits, modern electronic design, applications for DSP, CAD tools and parallel processing.
The VLSI Laboratory has extensive experience in the research fields of integrated circuits and systems and digital signal and image processing systems. The results of these activities are frequently presented in international conferences and are published in numerous scientific and engineering journals. Beyond the postgraduate, educational, and research activities, performed in the context of the doctoral program, the scientists and engineers of the Laboratory also aim to facilitate the proliferation of the use of Application-Specific Integrated Circuits (ASICs) in Greek industry.
The research activities of the Laboratory mainly focus on the following research areas:
• Embedded systems hardware and software
• Low energy and high speed IC design, based on novel technologies
• Software optimization for embedded processors, controllers and other CPUs (multi-core architectures, SIMD)
• Chip Design
• Architectures and Hardware Structures
• Communication subsystems (algorithms and hardware design)
• Design of CAD tools and VLSI Digital Signal Processing
• Design and implementation of specialized VLSI processors
• Design of data security and cryptography systems
• Specialised hardware for Wi-Fi networks and error correction decoders
Additionally, the laboratory has contributed significantly to the development of new high-tech businesses and enterprises, primarily in the area of Patras, a geographic area of intense high-tech activity, which can be attributed, to a certain extent, to the activities of the laboratory.